do hibiscus attract aphids?

Discussion in 'Hibiscus' started by red1121, Sep 15, 2007.

1. red1121

red1121 Member

hello everyone,

i have a question. I have recently been having problems with aphids. i had a hanging flower that became infested.... so i got rid of the plant. now that it is getting colder i brought some of the plants from the deck (including this hibiscus) indoors. another one of my flowering plants has since become infest with these pests..... i'm have checked out the hibiscus and it seems okay so far. but i was curious on how they spread... and if the hibiscus is at risk? and if so what can i do to prevent or if they appear, do to get rid of them

Attached Files:

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

I don't put houseplants outside because of this kind of thing. Also they are subjected to a change in light and humidity each time they go inside or out. Better to give them a suitable environment indoors and leave them there all the time.

3. john murtaugh

john murtaugh Member

My hibiscus always end up with some aphids inside during the winteron new growth and flowers. I can control them with insecticide soap but never seem to entirely eradicate them. Generally, they don't cause too much damage other than a few yellow leaves.

4. poodle

poodle Member

Hi red1121,

Yes!, and they are also susceptible to white flies.

poodle

5. 1950Greg

1950Greg Active Member

Langley, B.C. Stones throw from old HBC farm.
    Aphids spread rather quickley because the females reproduce without the aid of males. They lay duplicates of themselves and multipling very quickley untill they either destoy or over populate the host plant. At this point the females grow wings and fly off to the next victim. At some point some of the eggs turn to males and fertilize the females who fly off again and lay their eggs on other plants to over winter and start the cycle again.
    Ants will farm aphids by milking them for sugars. In this process ants will spread ahpid eggs by tranporting them around on their legs.
    In the garden one solution to get rid of them is to simply blow them off with a garden hose. I prefer to just run my fingers down the affected parts and squeeze them off. Check your plants often, twice a day and you will rid yourself of the problem. Soaps can be a problem indoors because dirt or dust will stick to it possibly clogging pores in the leaves.

6. poodle

poodle Member

That's soo interesting Greg,

In my situation I know it wasn't aphids since my plant is still small, since I grew it from a cutting, and I can look it over with ease since it doesn't have a lot of bush.

poodle