Need help with aphids on indoor tropicals

Discussion in 'Garden Pest Management and Identification' started by Tropical Nut, Dec 25, 2006.

1. Tropical Nut

Tropical Nut Member

Any ideas for control of aphids on my indoor tropicals? I must have brought them in on a new plant (stupid, I know!) and I am am very frustrated. I have treated twice (1 month apart) with di-syston, and sprayed weekly with pyrethin. I put an adhesion additive in the spray, but I swear, the second my back is turned the darned things are back in thundering hordes! These are very tough to get rid of, and aren't a type I am familiar with. They are more whitish than greenish and fly as adults. But they sure look like aphids, flattish, with a pear-shaped body and six legs.
    The majority of my plants are in VERY close quarters in the winter, and it takes all weekend to water and treat them. Should I bomb the room? I thought of trying a pyrethrin/insect growth regulator bomb from the pet store, but don't know if it would work on aphids.
    Any ideas that won't kill me or my cats would be greatly appreciated. I have thrown a few plants out, but would rather struggle on with the rest - I am very fond of them (see photo). The plants suffering the most are the bougainvilleas, dwarf cavs, purple velvets, hibiscus, gardenias and jasmines.

Attached Files:

2. James D.

James D. Active Member

i sugesst giving the plants most effected a good pruning to cut off most of the infected areas, then the use of horticulture oil once a week for about 3-4 weeks should kill thme, the aphids need to be smothred so hort oil or insecticidal soap works the best. pruning them and throwing aways the really infected ones if the best bet. hope this helps. also remeber to spray the pots cause the aphids lay eggs in the soil, and sometimes under plant pots and in the saucers especially if they are moist.

3. jamkh

jamkh Active Member

What beautiful plants you have. No doubt the aphids hurt you more than the plants, When all the spraying you try fail, why not resort to their natural predators. A host of lady bugs can chew up tons of aphids but they do not appreciate an indoor environment. I have had success in controlling aphids with spiders. Their webs are ideal for trapping the winged females as they can multiply like cracy. When the aphid population is under control you can collect the spiders and keep them in storage for future action when the next infestation occurs.
    Good luck then.

4. Rima

Rima Active Member

Neem oil is great, and is usually available at most garden centres. Much as I love ladybugs, I don't want them in the house, and Spiders??? Yaaaghh!

5. Tropical Nut

Tropical Nut Member

Thanks all!
    Yep, I think my "kids" are great, and you are probably right that I am more upset about the aphids than the plants are. I will get some Neem oil. Can I use it on the soft-leaved ones like the velvet plants? And can I treat the soil-less potting mix they are in with the Neem oil also? There are way too many and it is way too cold right now to repot! How deep in the soil do they lay their eggs?
    I didn't want to try predatory bugs because I worry that the aphids are now poisonous to them because of the systemic I have been using. (Is that correct or not?) We have a "pet" black widow in the bathroom window, but decided not to sacrifice her as a test case...