September, 2014 - Where are the flowers?

Discussion in 'Talk about UBC Botanical Garden' started by wcutler, Sep 16, 2014.

1. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

Douglas Justice's blog topic for this month is "Where are the flowers?" - see September 2014 in the Garden | UBC Botanical Garden, in which he discusses the dilemma of botanical gardens' wanting to attract visitors who bring in money yet needing to justify the cost of maintaining expensive floral displays.

Douglas mentions the interpretive signage and the smartphone tours. Here's an example of the QR tag for the Prehistoric Plants tour, posted in front of the Ginkgo biloba.
    20140911_UBCBG_PrehistoricPlantTour1_Cutler_P1110326.jpg GinkgoBiloba_20140911_UBCBG_PrehistoricPlantTour1_Cutler_P1110329.jpg
    I was with someone in August who had a data plan and was able to let me hear the tour on her phone. Without internet access, next best is to follow through at home by keying in the URL under the QR code: goo.gl/WO6s8.

I think it should bring up the sound clip, but on my computer it brings up a text document but no sound. I did find the page for the sound clips:
    ubcgarden

The sound clip for the Ginkgo is in this group:
    Prehistoric Plant Tour

I didn't photograph many flowers last week, but here are some flower buds on Eucalyptus parvula.
    EucalyptusParvula_20140911_UBCBG-1AAA_Cutler_P1110252.jpg

Last edited: Aug 3, 2017
  2. Nadia White Rock

Nadia White Rock Well-Known Member 10 Years

my favourites and new flowers

My favourites and new ones from the last week visit

Rare Alstroemeria hookeri from Chile
    Alstroemeria hookeri,Chile .JPG

Cephalanthus occidentalis, east of N. America native, there are buds, looking forward to see flowers (probably for months)
    Cephalanthus occidentalis,E,c N. America,4C01,Rubiaceae .jpg

Iochroma australe, native to Argentina & Bolivia
    Iochroma australe.jpg

White fruited eggplant, Solanum melongena in Food garden
    Solanum melongena, Food garden.jpg

3. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

The button bush looks like it has already bloomed which might be expected as a typical flowering time is August.

4. Nadia White Rock

Nadia White Rock Well-Known Member 10 Years

Really? Sad news

5. wcutler

Here are flowers on the Cephalanthus occidentalis. I photographed this thinking I could use it for a strange fruits posting, but I see now that they're flowers - the opposite reaction to Nadia's. Flowering might have started a titch early - I have missed the white corollas, have just the lingering sepals.
    Cephalanthus-occidentalis_UBCBG_Cutler_20180809_162723.jpg Cephalanthus-occidentalis_UBCBG_Cutler_20180809_162831.jpg Cephalanthus-occidentalis_UBCBG_Cutler_20180809_162857.jpg

6. wcutler