Help with tall skinny Jade Plant

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by Unregistered, Jun 10, 2005.

1. Hi,

My jade plant is about five years old and it is tall and thin. It can't stand too well on its own and I have two stakes holding up its tall spindly trunks. It has a lot of that "brown" trunk and then the green leaves cluster at the top. I wish it would start filling out and looking bushier and being stronger, but the leaves fall off the trunk (hence why the trunk is so brown). It just keeps growing taller and taller pretty quickly, but the leaves don't stay towards the base. Is it bad that the leaves fall off so easily towards the bottom? The new growth stays well (until more comes in and then they fall). If I merely touch one of the leaves towards the bottom, it falls off (I tried dusting the poor plant and they dropped like flies...). I have no clue how to prune them (I take off those new buds but isn't this defeating the purpose since I want it to have MORE leaves??).... The leaves that fall off naturally have that brown bark starting to take over them before they fall. I don't mind this except that their trunks are SO thin and tall... (The plant has got to be about 2 feet tall with the trunk as big around as my pinky finger at most).

Another thing is that a lot of the leaves end up looking heart shaped or having a "scare" in them. It is hard to explain but as the new buds grow in pairs they sort of stick together like conjoined twins and when they break away one or both will have a "dent". Is this normal? It makes my plant look deformed in places....

If you can help me, please email me at Mary with "Jade Plant" in the subject. Don't respond to me here b/c I won't find it. Thank you! I appreciate any help.

-Mary

2. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

Hello Mary, sorry you are having trouble with your jade plant. I hope someone can help you with that. We generally discourage replies by email unless the corresponcence is of a personal nature. When people take the conversation off the forums the online community that we are trying to serve here loses out. Also replying by email means giving out one's email address and many people will not want to do that. Please read this thread:

http://www.botanicalgarden.ubc.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=1583

You may want to try to come back to the forums for more info and reading, I am very willing to help if anyone has trouble navigating or using the forums. So, I have released your post as is and people may reply here or to you directly. I also have sent you a link to this post by email so you could easily find your post again.

Good luck with the jade,

3. Marn

Marn Active Member 10 Years

4. Thanks for the help! The moderator informed me to not post my email, and showed me how to see replies. So if you read this and have any advice, please DON'T email me and reply here. Sorry for the confusion. Thanks for that link...

-Mary