dwarf lemon tree has fruit but not yellow

Discussion in 'Citrus' started by crsmith, Jul 29, 2008.

1. crsmith

crsmith Member

I have a 2 plus year old dwarf lemon tree in a large tub ... it has produced many lemons but they are only partially yellow ... been ripening for a long time ... any suggestions as I am new to this gardening stuff. CRSMITH

2. alvinb

alvinb Member

Hi,
    There are a couple of solutions to your problem.

Here's my primary answer:
    Plants often produce weak/tasteless fruits when they are watered too often. Fruits are one of the ways for plants disperse themselves and ensure species survival. To kick start fruiting, you need to stress out the plant - stop watering the plant for a few days (2 or more depending on temperature and weather), just enough so that the soil gets dry, but not enough that the plant starts to wilt (really make sure that the plant doesn't overwilt, otherwise, you can loose all the fruits or worse, kill the plant). This stress will set in motion the plant's innate ability to divert nutrients into the fruits, rather than the leaves or for growth. Hopefully, with more nutrients, the lemons will start to yellow. Repeat this process until you are ready to harvest the lemons.

Other things to consider:
    - Before the dwarf lemon fruits or shows flowers, you may want to consider fertilizing it (during early spring). You can use water soluble fertilizer or use mushroom manure (or any type of fertilizer you see fit), as long as you fertilize before the fruits start showing. Giving the plant some nutrients will ensure proper fruit production later in the season.
    - Make sure that the plant gets lots of sun. This will allow it to gather enough sugars and energy needed for proper fruiting.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
    Alvin

3. jeanneaxler

jeanneaxler Active Member

Alvin has excellent suggestions.
    But because you are in Southern California and have a lot of sun and heat and citrus grows like a weed, you may want to make sure you actually have a lemon tree and not a lime. I am not sure what you call "partially yellow" but if you leave limes on the tree long enough they will turn a strange bleached out greenish yellow color.