Weeping Cherry Tree

Discussion in 'Fruit and Nut Trees' started by dskern11, May 11, 2006.

1. dskern11

dskern11 Member

I live in New Jersey. I have a young weeping cherry tree that was planted last year. It bloomed and had leaves for the whole summer. In the fall, the leaves fell off and the tree went dormant for the winter. It is May 11 and the tree has not bloomed as of yet. As far as I can tell, all the cherry trees in the area have bloomed already. I've snipped off a piece of one of the branches and the tree is green inside. So, to the best of my ability, I think the tree is still alive. Can anyone tell me if I need to do anything to get this tree to bloom, will it bloom or do I just get a new tree?

2. jimweed

jimweed Active Member 10 Years

Hopefully it is just a late bloomer. Or in a shaded area, or your little weeper may be a different variety then all the other cherry trees in your area. It's still green inside, thats has to be a good sign. And, if the little buds seem to be ok then all you can really do is just wait it out for a bit. It'll probably be fine. I personally wouldn't suggest fertilizer or spraying at this time to try to get it to bloom. Jim.

3. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Many posts over the years on same topic at Gardenweb, including right now. This site has a link, otherwise just feed "gardenweb forums" to a web search.