I maybe killing my grapefruit tree

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by udelllarsen, Dec 28, 2005.

1. udelllarsen

udelllarsen Member

I have a grapefruit tree that I bought this summer. It has been thrieving in a south facing solarium. It continues to flower and bear fruit, but over the last few weeks it has been losing leaves at an alarming rate. Initially, I thought it was the space heater positioned close by (used for warmth) but I am not convinced. I need advice before I have a flowering stick! thanks

2. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

Answers to some questions may help in determining the problem:
    • Has the tree always been indoors in the solarium?
    • What is the condition of the fallen leaves?
    • Is there any sap or webbing on them?
    • Are they attached to a leaf stem?
    • How close is the heater to the tree?
    • Is it facing the tree?
    • Is it always on?
    • What are the minimum and maximum temperatures in the solarium?
    • What is the humidity in the solarium?
    • What type of soil is the tree growing in?
    • How big is the tree?
    • How often is it watered?
    • How often is it fertilized?

3. udelllarsen

udelllarsen Member

Here is the additional info:
    The tree has always been in the solarium. The leaves don't turn color, they just dry up and fall off. There is no evidence of sap or webbing, but I have been battling an ongoing aphid infestation(since I bought the plant). I have been watering the plant once a week but since I turned on the space heater, it has become biweekly (as the space heater seems to dry it out). The space heater does face the tree, but I have moved it quite far back thinking this was the cause of the problem (which is not helping). The plant is being fertilized by 20-20-20 once a month. I have just recently started refertilizing because the plant started to reflower and produce small fruit even though it is winter. The soil is a tropical soil mix bought at a local greenhouse. I can not think of any other changes the plant has undergone, except the space heater and lack of sun this time of year. Any help would be most grateful.
    PS I am going to try to attach a couple of photos

4. Junglekeeper

The aphid infestation should be dealt with but is not the cause of the problem. The problem may be due to low relative humidity (RH) which would be exacerbated by the space heater. You can confirm this with a hygrometer(*). Try to increase the humidity by placing the container on a tray filled with water and lava rock. Lowering the heat will help as well. A comfortable setting for citrus would be 15C/60F with RH of 50%. I have some citrus growing indoors at 21C/70F with RH between 35-50% without any problem.

I would turn the heater away from the tree. (Is the heater for the benefit of the tree?) Also consider moving the tree away from the window a bit as the light and temperature will be most intense there. I also have some citrus trees right next to a south-facing window but the humidity is high (70-90%) enough to not cause a problem.

The soil should be quick draining and well aerated; soggy soil will result in root rot. Water only when the soil has had a chance to dry out between waterings. Some say to water when the first couple of inches of soil feels dry.
    * A combination thermometer/hygrometer from Home Depot or Canadian Tire costs around $10 Cdn. Fancier digital units with min/max functions are available at London Drugs and The Source (ex. RadioShack).

Last edited: Nov 4, 2015
  5. Junglekeeper

Followup questions:
    • Is the space heater the only source of heat in this solarium?
    • How cold does the room get if left unheated?
    • Was the tree exposed to these lower temperatures?

6. udelllarsen

udelllarsen Member

Thanks for the tips. I went out and bought a hygrometer-the RH is ~45%, temperature 20 c. I moved the space heater to the other side of the room (~15 feet). As suggested, I pulled the tree back away from the window and I added rocks and water to the large container holding the tree (but the actual planting pot is well above the water). I'll let you know how it goes.

7. Junglekeeper

The temperature and RH in the solarium should be okay. The proximity of the space heater must have been the culprit. Hopefully one of the citrus experts who frequent these forums can confirm.

BTW, are there many places to buy citrus trees in Calgary?

8. udelllarsen

udelllarsen Member

No, there are only a few...and these have them very infrequently. thanks again.