Forum Name Change -> Wildflower ID to Native Plants ID to Wild Plants ID

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by Daniel Mosquin, Jul 27, 2007.

1. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

I'm hoping the change in the name of the forum will reduce the number of threads where people post about plants in their gardens. I agree with the opinionated writer of the [WIKI]wildflower[/WIKI] entry on Wikipedia that the term "wildflowers" has been corrupted from "plants that one encounters in the wild" to, essentially, "plants with flowers".

In any case, I can't come up with a better term than "Native Plants", even though nonnatives, introduced plants, garden escapes and such are welcome here (if someone is looking for an ID on a plant that is growing in a wild place but it turns out not to be native, I'm fine with that).

2. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Re: Forum Name Change -> Wildflower ID to Native Plants ID

Seems sensible to me - also makes it more inclusive (the likes of Pinus contorta or Polystichum munitum can't be considered 'wildflowers'!)

Would "BC Native Plants" or PNW Native Plants" be even more apt? Or is it open to posting native (or apparently native) plants from anywhere?

3. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Native plants from anywhere.

4. tipularia

tipularia Well-Known Member 10 Years

What about wild plants? That would include escapes and those that are not endemic.

5. Daniel Mosquin

Didn't seem to work for wildflowers!

But yes, that's a bit more all-encompassing. I'll switch to that.

6. Michael F

It doesn't - technically, wild plant is synonymous with native plant, it does not include introduced naturalised / invasive species.

7. tipularia

tipularia Well-Known Member 10 Years

8. Michael F

Yep. Q.E.D. To be wild, it has to be native, as if not, it has to have been cultivated at some point to get there.

9. Daniel Mosquin

Well, it's not being changed to "not cultivated in the recent past plant identification"!

I'm not looking for a technically-defined term - I'd prefer a vernacular term that is suitable. Wild seems to fit the bill better than native.

10. Daniel Mosquin

Well, it was too confusing for quite a few folks it seemed, so I've toasted the Wildflower ID / Wild Plants ID forum and merged everything back into Plants ID.

11. Robert Flogaus-Faust

Robert Flogaus-Faust Active Member 10 Years

I guess that it will be even more confusing from now on - very few wildflower questions from all over the world hidden among lots of questions about unknown cultivated plants! And the time during which a PNW wildflower question might be answered will be dramatically decreased once more because of the huge amount of questions.

12. unther

unther Active Member

I agree! I liked having the wild plants ID separate. I'm keenly interested in PNW native plants, and plants native west of the Rockies in general. If it's native elsewhere or some odd cultivar, it has to be really cool in order for me to be interested in it. I also love to help people get to know their native plants better, which is made more than a little difficult when I have to wade through scores of posts about cultivated plants about which I know very little. Having Wild Plants addressed separately helps not-so-knowledgible people more easily have their questions answered.

13. Daniel Mosquin

Well, I agree with both of you - it was one of my favourite forums. However, when every second thread needs to be moved over, it's not sustainable from a forum administration perspective.

Feel free to post ID questions in the Regional PNW of North America forum, though.