Propagation: Double grafted maples

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Penkov, Feb 16, 2015.

1. Penkov

Penkov New Member

I want to know what is the opinion of double grafted maple.
    129.jpg

Picture 025.jpg

Picture 274.jpg

Last edited: Feb 20, 2015
  2. Jaybee63

Jaybee63 Rising Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

It's not for me. It distracts from the beauty of each cultivar and sure.y you'd have to be very careful if one was more vigorous than the other.
    John

3. Penkov

Penkov New Member

I put them on the border of good taste. Some combinations are terrible. But there are those who look very good. It is important to choose right.

4. maf

maf Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Maybe even over the border. Most of the ones I have seen are somewhat jarring. As John said, it can distract from what makes a cultivar good in the first place.

5. Penkov

Penkov New Member

I support John for his taste. Of course, there is nothing more beautiful than the natural way shape maple. But like double grafted maple does not mean you do not like single. :) I think you just should not restrict the tastes and perceptions. Japanese maple differ from each other sometimes shades. And because many are varieties have a rich base of possibilities for combination. Of course, can not be treated recklessly. This is not so much to the propagation of maple much as art. An art in time and space. And when they are combined under the laws of art could be perceived well. I have at least a dozen such. And actually perceived differently. I have a combination I call "family in divorce." Looks terrible. But there are others who are very curious. It is a personal choice that should not be restricted. :)

6. Jaybee63

Jaybee63 Rising Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

I like to plant cultivars that compliment or contrast with each other, either by colour, growth habit or leaf form. A tall weeping standard under planted with a low spreading weeper. I have also raised many of my maples by removing lower branches and they are under planted with smaller maples.
    I guess its down to personal taste, but each specimen planted this way can still be appreciated for it's own individual characteristics.

7. maplesmagpie

maplesmagpie Active Member

It reminds me of a lab I taught while I was a TA-- grafting tomatoes onto potato plant stem/roots. It's a fun and entertaining experiment, and there's lots to enjoy about the outcome, but it's not something I'd choose to do normally. I like planting two contrasting plants near each other, though, as someone mentioned.

I've seen a lot of double (or more) grafted fruit trees, and most of the ones I've seen don't seem to have balanced vigor. I've seen several where one variety had to be cut out of the tree entirely, often leaving an ugly imbalance and scars, then a lot of suckers to follow. Is this the case with double grafted maples as well?

8. Penkov

Penkov New Member

Against all this there is timely intervention by pruning. When taken at the time, does not result in such drastic situations. Have I had to pruning, but then the reward is greater.