help with pony tail palm

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by twiddling in NE, Nov 19, 2005.

1. Help!
    I live in New England and a sudden frost caught me off guard and froze the top and leaves of my 6 year old three foot tall pony tail palm. What can i do?
    All of the leaves and new growth from the summer are now yellow and freezer burnt. Anyone know if it will come back? Or would the best answer be to cut the top off?
    Any and all help would be appreciated especially since it is not my plant but i was responsible for it safe keeping!

thanks.

2. Weekend Gardener

Weekend Gardener Active Member 10 Years

I am no expert on Pony tails. I do have a few in our house. The last time we movee, we just cut all the leaves off, take the tubers out of the pot, shorten the roots, and put them all in a paper bad! When we got established in our new abode, I just reported the tubers. YOu culd try and do the same. But don't cut the tip of the stem off, just remove or trim the damaged leaves.

It's worth a go. If the stem tuber is damaged, however, your plant will not likely not survive.