tomato wilt

Discussion in 'Fruit and Vegetable Gardening' started by wesiptea, Jul 2, 2005.

1. wesiptea

wesiptea Member

hello all!

my name is annie and i am new to this forum. i am really a beginning gardener...although, i do put in many hours of maintainence into the ever-expanding garden that my husband and i have created.

i was hoping that someone could share their thoughts on a problem i am having with one of my tomato plants. now that the weather is getting very warm (hot) here in sacramento, this plant has been wilting every day, even after getting plenty of water. i am concerned that i will over water it. the leaves look fine, indeed, the plant looks healthy when it has perked up (after some watering). are the roots damaged? any thoughts on what i can do?

thank you for reading my message!
    annie

2. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

Hello Annie, tomatoes can use a lot of water. You don't say how your tomatoes are planted. If the soil is sandy or they are in raised beds, your plants will dry out faster than normal. If they are recovering fine when you water, there is probably nothing wrong with them. Put a thick layer of mulch around the base of the plants if you haven't already. That will help hold moisture in the soil.

During active growth tomatoes should be given plenty of water. When they begin to set fruit, you should hold back a bit on the water to encourage ripening.