damage pony tail palm

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by Unregistered, Jan 2, 2006.

1. I have a 7 ft, 22 year old palm that is just notic the top of the trunk looks as if it's dying. The top is soft and wilted over. It does however have about a dozen sprouts on the middle & low section of the trunk that is still frim. Can I transplant these sprouts & is there any thing I can do to safe the tree?

2. Weekend Gardener

Weekend Gardener Active Member 10 Years

What do you mean when you say "the top" of the trunk is softened? At 22 years of age, I expect that your ponytail plant has a lower bulbous part, and a straighter, slender trunk above it. If it is the later part that is "softened", then it may still be fine. More importantly, if those are new shoots sprouting from below the softened upper part, it may indicate that the root system is still functional. If so, you will lose the top part of "leader" (the main trunk), but your ponytail will grow into one with multiple branches.

What worries me is what caused the demise of the top of the trunk in the first place. Is it being overwatered? Did it get frost damage?