Cycads, anyone?

Discussion in 'Outdoor Tropicals' started by Sunset Cycads, Aug 4, 2005.

1. Sunset Cycads

Sunset Cycads Active Member 10 Years

Hello. My name is Lori and I have been growing cycads from seed for four years. I now have almost all the genera represented in my collection. I have started a small cottage nursery, raising only the rarer species -- no cycas revoluta. Is anyone else growing the zamias, dioons, or cycas?

2. Michael Anderson

Michael Anderson Member

Wow! I am not growing cvcads from seed, but I DO want to say, congratulations!

3. Sunset Cycads

Do you have any cycads, Michael?

4. neobb

neobb Member

Hi garden of eden,

Do you have the Taiwan cycad species? I think it is taitungensis?

Do you sell your plants?

Thanks!

5. Hi,

yes, I am growing Dioon Edules and Revolutas with some success. I keep them in a human incubator at about 90 degrees and 70-80% humidity in peat pellets. They are doing quite well except I am getting some mold on some seeds. Any suggestions?

April

6. Sunset Cycads

April, if the seeds with the mold have not sprouted yet I would advise soaking them in a mold inhibitor available from your local nursery -- there are many products available. Also, make sure that no organic residue of the fruit has been left on the seed. If so, scrape it off. That will surely go moldy in your high heat, high humidity environment. If the seeds have sprouted, remove them to a drier environment; that will help to control the mold. Good luck!

Neobb, I do sell my plants, but unfortunately I do not have any taitungensis. I do have Cycas panzihuaensis, Dioon edule, Macrozamia communis, and Zamia vasquezii for sale.

7. Sunset Cycads

Neobb, I do sell my plants, but unfortunately I do not have any taitungensis. I do have Cycas panzihuaensis, Dioon edule, Macrozamia communis, and Zamia vasquezii for sale.

8. neobb

neobb Member

Hi Garden of eden,

How much is your Cycas panzihuaensis?

Thank you.

9. Sunset Cycads

Hello, Neobb.
    I will e-mail you privately because I think there is a rule against conducting business on the forum. Check your message box on this forum (top right-hand corner of this page). Anyone else interested in purchasing plants can e-mai me by clicking on my name (Garden of Eden Nursery) and sending me a message, or e-mail me at sunsetcycads@uniserve.com.

10. guga

guga Member

Hello! My name is Gery and i am from Bulgaria.I am looking for seeds from cycads silver Pls help me to find!I love cycads a lot i am in love in cycads :)

11. Sunset Cycads

Hi, Gery
    Try www.rarepalmseeds.com I think I saw they had some. They are in Europe, also. Cycas seeds are tricky to start; make sure they don't get moldy.
    -Lori

12. guga

guga Member

Thank you a lot Lori i will try!:) I like cycads silver a lot :)

13. Sunset Cycads

I started 10 Cycas sp. (silver) seeds about a year ago and eight germinated. Six are doing quite well. They will not show their silver leaves for a while, though. Are you growing any other kinds of cycads? What is your climate like there?

14. guga

guga Member

Hi! I will show u my cycads but he is a present for me from my friend from Germany i don't know what kind of cycads he is.Here in Bulgararia the climate is temperate.
    I like very much cycads silver but here we haven't that kind.
    In other saits has cycads silver seeds from sale but they are so expensive for me:(

15. guga

guga Member

16. Sunset Cycads

This looks like a Cycas revoluta. They do very well indoors, and outdoors to about -6 degrees Celsius. Here on the West Coast of Canada we have mild winters but a lot of rain, so we have to keep the cycads in a sheltered location where they do not get drowned.

If you really want some seeds of a silver cycas, I saw on e-bay that someone is selling Cycas siamensis (silver) seeds.

17. guga

guga Member

Yes i want! Please look and tell me ok?
    :)

18. Sunset Cycads

Just go to www.e-bay.ca and search for "cycads" and you will see it there. You can bid on it and take it from there.
    --Lori

19. guga

guga Member

Yes i saw it! But this is too expensive for me :~(

20. guga

guga Member

Hi Lori! I have 4 cycas silver seeds.Pls tell me how can i started?:)

21. Sunset Cycads

Hi, Gery

You found some, that's wonderful. Soak them for a day or two, changing the water daily. Then get a clean, deep plastic container with a lid and fill it to within 30 mm of the top with vermiculite or perlite. Add just enough water to dampen the mix but make sure it is not drenching wet. Place the seeds on their sides, half buried in the mix. Close the lid and keep warm, about 25-30 degrees Celsius. (Put on top of the fridge or on a heating mat). Check often to make sure no mould has developed. (If it has, remove the mould). If the mix seems dry, add more water with a spray bottle. The radicle (new root) will emerge when the cycas seed splits. The root will grow quite a long ways down before the leaf will emerge, and this could take several months.

Have fun!

--Lori

22. guga

guga Member

Thank you very much, Lori!:)

23. gcolbert28303

gcolbert28303 Member

Hello all
    I first added zamias to my collection of oddities about 2 years ago, since I have started 3 species from seed and have about 2 dozen now from 3.5" pots to 1 gallon and still looking around for more.
    Greg

24. Sunset Cycads

Which species of zamia are you growing, Greg? I have Zamia furfuracea, zamia picta, zamia vasquezii, zamia boliviana, and zamia fischerii. Zamias are such graceful-looking cycads, aren't they? And they seem to grow well indoors, as well.

25. gcolbert28303

gcolbert28303 Member

So far I have loddigesii, splendens and a sp. Mexico that I am not sure of untill I get a full leaf from it to see what it might be. I only wish they were a little more frost hardy, I would love to plant them in my yard in between a couple of palms.