Culinary: Mint

Discussion in 'Herbs for the Kitchen' started by CapeBretonGardener, May 8, 2009.

1. CapeBretonGardener

CapeBretonGardener Member

Last year I planted some mint in my herb garden and I thought it had died due to the amount of rain we had last summer. To my surprise it popped up again this year and is of course spreading. Can I dig it out this time of year and plant it in a contained space?

2. MannieBoo

MannieBoo Active Member

Yes, you can and a friend of mine uses a large in ground pot for her mint, it can be quite invasive. If you don't get it all up it will continue to grow where you initially planted it, that's why I don't grow it, I do have peppermint down by my pond which if it wants to go hog wild it has my blessing.

3. proflex4ever

proflex4ever Member

I think we can go as far as classifying mint as a wlid, rampant grower. I too keep it in a pot as I do not want it to take over the beds. I also divide and repot my mint for each of the last three years. It reall rejuvinates what is in the pot. Enjoy your mint!

4. Sara_

Sara_ New Member

Hi! do you know what kind of pot the mint was in? I am trying to grow some indoors because I want to take some with me when I move into a dorm next fall but currently the only pot I have doesn't have drainage holes on the bottom. I put some pebbles in the bottom to try and help with drainage but I don't know if that's enough