Emerald Cedars- how to make them grow tall?

Discussion in 'Gymnosperms (incl. Conifers)' started by Erica, Mar 6, 2006.

1. Erica

Erica Active Member

Hi there- We have about 10 Emerald Cedars (at least I think they are) along the back fence. They have not grown past 3 or 4 feet since we've moved in this house 3 years ago.
    I have never pruned them. I did fertilize once or twice.
    Should I cut the tops off? Will that make them grow taller?
    Thanks,
    Erica

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

They must be growing at least a little. Faster growth will result from better site conditions. What is making them so slow is impossible to determine here. Common operations to improve site conditions for garden plants are weeding, mulching, watering and fertilizing. Sample your soil and have it analyzed before fertilizing.

A common source of difficulty is amending of planting holes or other occurrences that result in the plant sitting in a small area of dramatically different soil texture surrounding by another texture, such as planting with intact, often claylike field soil rootballs. Another common extreme is coarse, highly aerated potting medium. In all these instances soil moisture does not move readily across the different soil textures, sometimes resulting in puddling around the plants during rainy weather or liberal irrigation, as well as rootballs becoming dust dry during drought conditions. Balled in burlap stock allowed to become dry between the grower's field and the retail customer's garden may repel water for years after replanting.

3. clareity

clareity Member

I'm planting emeralds right now and am happy to see the warning about dramatically different soil types, a sin I'd best correct asap. My scrawny pathetic 3 ' pyramidalis were strung across the front yard just a few years ago one by one, widely spaced and looking horrible enough to dig up. Insead I paid attention to watering and fertilizing. Within three years they more than doubled in size and formed a lush hedge that requires pruning. What a difference care makes!