British Columbia: Bees on laurel hedge

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by Deep Cove Moe, Jun 9, 2011.

1. Deep Cove Moe

Deep Cove Moe Member

I have a laurel hedge which is swarming with bees. They are attracted to the base of the new leaves. Does anyone know what they are collecting as there are no flowers on these plants? My hedge needs to be trimmed but I don't dare do it with all these bees. Does anyone know how long the bees will be around? Thanks.

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

I've seen wasps doing this, there appear to be secretions they are after at these leaf base points you mentioned. Probably after the new growth firms up it stops. This stage in the annual growth cycle is also the best time to prune the hedge.

One time I saw a bald-faced hornet pounce on a house fly that was sitting on a laurel hedge leaf here. They tumbled to the ground together, where the fly was quickly made into a food ball and flown back to the nest.

3. elgordo

elgordo Active Member

Yes, a sweet secretion on the undersides of the leaves. Quite syrupy, and the bees love it.

4. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Possibly evolved as a defence against herbivores - attract a cloud of wasps or bees, and large leaf-eating animals will stay away. Seems to be effective in protecting the tree from being cut back here, too ;-)