Watermelon (not Beefsteak) Tomato

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by MariaJacobs@Earthlink.net, Aug 18, 2006.

1. MariaJacobs@Earthlink.net

MariaJacobs@Earthlink.net Member

An old time local farmer gave me a tomato plant this year that was started from seeds that were passed down for generations in his famiily. He said he thought the variety was called "watermelon" and that it is a pink tomato but he hadn't seen them since he was a child. Now I have several large tomatoes growing. Does anyone know if this is a "watermelon" tomato variety? It does not resemble the "beefsteak watermelon" variety many heirloom catalogs offer.

This plant seems to have spread or vined out like a watermelon plant. Also, there have been many blossoms but only a few set fruit. It went in the ground pretty late in the season (we were already eating tomatoes from our other plants).

Finally, I have a ripe tomato. This is an outstanding tasting tomato. Sweet, firm, not acid tasting at all. Thin skin and few seeds. Here are some pictures. It does not resemble a watermelon beefsteak variety. I was told it was just a plain watermelon variety that they hadn't planted in 40 years. I would love to know what it really is

Attached Files:

2. MariaJacobs@Earthlink.net

Sorry, I resized the photos and it made the measurement difficult to see. It is about 8 1/2 inches around at the widest point and 5 1/4 inches long.

3. shelli

shelli Active Member

I don't know what a watermelon tomato is, but the picture looks exactly like a regular plum tomato to me.

4. MariaJacobs@Earthlink.net

Is there a giant variety of plum tomatoes? This tomato is 8 1/2 inches around. The rest of the fruit on the vine is about as big.

5. shelli

shelli Active Member

I don't know if there are different size varieties, it's certainly possible. My plum tomatoes grow that big, too. I plant them from regular seeds I buy in packages. Of course every vegetable in my garden grows much bigger than what I find in the stores... have to be careful to pick the zucchini before they are the size of baseball bats!! :-)

6. Itrywithplants

Itrywithplants Member

I am no expert on growing tomatoes. But my father used to grow these in his garden. They are not regular plum tomatoes. We used to call them pepper tomatoes, not sure why. The seeds were passed on to my father from a friend over 25 years ago and he planted them every year after that until he passed away two years ago and now my mother is continuing to grow them and keep the seeds. She lives in Montreal, Canada and manages to get an excellent yield. They are some of the most tasty fresh tomatoes I have had and are also really good for cooking. Regards.