Wilting Banana Plant

Discussion in 'Outdoor Tropicals' started by Doris, Jun 12, 2006.

1. Doris

Doris Member

Hello. This is my first post on this site and I hope someone may be able to give me some advice. I have a one year old banana plant (I think it is a musa basijoo) and it has been growing indoors in a pot since I bought it last year. I understand that these banana plants are fairly hardy and plan to plant it out in my garden here in the UK. So with the weather warming up at the moment, I've started taking it outside during the daytime to aclimatise it and bringing it back indoors at night. I've noticed today though, that all the leaves are drooping badly and folding in half along the seam. It looks like it is wilting badly. I've been keeping it well watered as the temperature is up to around 30 degree's centigrade at the moment. But I'm really not sure what else to do. Do you think I've done something wrong? Perhaps it would like more shade?

Any help you can give would be much appreciated.

Thank you.

2. LPN

LPN Well-Known Member 10 Years

Doris,
    Here's what I'd do. First off, keep it out of direct sunlight and as you've done, keep it well watered. Musa love water. Leave it out day & night in a sheltered spot. All the growth that's on the plant now will likely die. Indoor conditions produce weak growth in comparison to outdoor growth. Gradually allow more sun exposure. They're fast enough growers that in a month or so it should look just fine again. After it has regained it's vigor, plant it out in your garden.
    I've grown these Musa basjoo for 15 years without any problems and they always put on a fabulous display, fruiting (inedible) periodically as well. Keep us posted.

Cheers, LPN.

3. Doris

Doris Member

Hi LPN. I'm so grateful to you for your advice. It's a relief to know that it will buck up in its own time and hopefully by the time it gets planted, be bigger and stronger. I have moved it into a more shaded corner for the time being and as you suggested, I have left it out overnight.

Thank you once again.