Green Giants

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by Libtech152, Feb 25, 2011.

1. Libtech152

Libtech152 Member

I need a fast growing, evergreen hedge for privacy from my crazy neighbor! I want the fastest growing tree alive and I want it yesterday! The 6 foot cedar fence is just not doing it.

I have done some research and have come to the conclusion that Thuja Green Giants are what I need.

I don't know much about cedar hedges. These are the species I have found. Which one is the Green Giant?

Thuja koraiensis - Korean Thuja
    Thuja occidentalis - Eastern Arborvitae, Northern Whitecedar
    Thuja plicata - Western Redcedar
    Thuja standishii - Japanese Thuja
    Thuja sutchuenensis - Sichuan Thuja

I live in Langley, BC and am wondering if anyone knows a nursery that I can buy these trees from locally?

How far away from the cedar panel fence should I plant? And I have read they should be spaced 5-6 ft apart, is this correct?

Big Thanks :)

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Plant T. plicata instead. Only advantage of 'Green Giant' would be if it happens to be resistant to Keithia blight.

3. jimmyq

jimmyq Well-Known Member 10 Years

Keep in mind that fast growing usually equals very large in the long run, I dont consider Thuja plicata cultivars appropriate for most residential properties, unless you have acreage. It will turn into a maintenance nightmare at some point.

I have seen the Thuja p. Green Giant at a nursery in Langley, when I first saw them planted the claim to fame was rapid growth and deep green color in season, no remarks about Kethia resistance that I heard.

If you can, look for well grown 7 to 8 foot (or taller depending on budget) Smaragd cedars as a hedge vs the 6 foot fence. They can be maintained at 10 to 15 feet in height with a lateral spread of 4 feet or so. Vertical growth with ample water and proper fertilizer will be in the range of 12 to 16 inches a year.

4. Libtech152

Libtech152 Member

I have to keep the fence up as there are dogs on both sides. I know a chain link would be better for the trees but it is what it is, a cedar plank fence.
    How far away from the fence should I plant the trees?

Thanks for the info :)

5. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

For info, 'Green Giant' is a hybrid between Thuja plicata and Thuja standishii. Its main advantage is climatic adaptability in areas with hot, humid summers like the eastern USA, where the faster-growing Thuja plicata doesn't thrive. It doesn't have any benefits in BC.

6. Lysichiton

Lysichiton Active Member

Mine were about 2 feet from a cedar fence...till they pushed it over after about 10 years. With rigorous pruning & scalping (done by me since it cost too much to get the pros to do it) I managed to get my Leylandii hedge to last 28 years. As I have whined on these forums before I have recently spent a lot of money & a lot of time getting rid of the hedge before it engulfed the whole yard......plan on a much shorter life than I tried to achieve for your peace-of-mind & pocket book.

Personally, the name "Green Giant" would make me wonder if my property were big enough for the both of us! I would prefer to see it on a can of peas. Sorry for the negative vote. Smaragds are better, Yews are best IMO. I appreciate your wish, but instant screening is very hard to do. Patience & cost are inversely related in many aspects of gardening.

Lysichiton

Last edited: Feb 27, 2011