Washington: Windmill Palm with yellow fronds on new growth

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by foureast, Jan 16, 2011.

1. foureast

foureast Member

I have a newly planted (october 2010) windmill palm. It was a potted fully mature 4 foot tall trunk from a local supplier. It continues to grow through the winter, but has 7 new fronds that are coming out yellow. I tried all the right things for the winter. Straw around the base to keep from freezing, planted in big hole with sand, topsoil mix and steer manure. Fertilized at planting with miracle grow and a small amount of bulb fertilizer (lily miller - says it won't burn). I wrapped the plant with burlap and christmas lights for the freezing weather. I also added on shot of copper fungicide in november. We have a very dense clay soil where I live - palm is planted on on mound in a bit of sheltered area. Still sees the wind.

Am I loving this to death or is the yellow frond normal for winter? The rest of the fronds are good - just a little brown on the tips, but seems very normal.

Any help here??? thanks to all.

2. Henrysmith

Henrysmith Member

Fronds on trachycarpus are normally yellowish at this time of year. I have heard that this is due to the soil tempurature. They will green up with the warmer weather. Also, being in Seattle, you don,t need to provide winter protection to Trachys.