White pine

Discussion in 'Gymnosperms (incl. Conifers)' started by Unregistered, Aug 29, 2005.

1. I have a white pine (pinus strobus) that we planted 5 yrs ago in our front yard. It is thriving (now about 12' tall) and now I realize it will eventually get too big for the yard (what was I thinking?...). My options are to have it cut down now, while the job is still a relatively small and inexpensive one, to have it moved to another location in my yard, or to prune it back when the new candles form in spring. If I prune it back, I would need to do this regularly to keep the tree reasonably small. Does anyone have any experience with pruning a white pine repeatedly? Does anyone have any experience with moving a white pine this large? I have successfully moved some fairly good sized trees, but haven't done this with a white pine.

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Snap the central candle out of each branch before needles expand each year. An annual project, perhaps a bore at the time, but one that will keep the tree small for years. Otherwise, cut it down.

3. Tom Duralia

Tom Duralia Member

Ron,

Would you recommend a similar strategy for a 4 ft. mountain hemlock growing in a small native garden? Any thoughts on root pruning as an alternative method?

Thanks,

Tom

4. growest

growest Active Member 10 Years

Tom--my "Elizabeth" blue mountain hemlock took about 10 years to get 4 ft. tall, and grew at a snail's pace even then. This may be slower growing than your tree, but mountain hemlock's are still pretty tame in their growth rate.

I would be nervous about root pruning because the above mentioned tree died a few years ago from some root rot, presumably phytophthora. Cutting roots would be asking for that trouble in my limited but tragic experience.

On the other hand, hemlocks take very well to shearing, western's make a dandy hedge. So heading back/shearing back the new growth each summer should keep it smaller, tho you may lose the natural shape which I really love(d)! Just do the pruning after the yearly growth spurt, which I think has been completed for a little while now.

Summer pruning=discourages growth. Winter pruning=encourages growth. This is what I have been led to believe, someone correct if this rule of thumb is wrong...

Glen

5. Tom Duralia

Tom Duralia Member

Thanks Glen,

I'll hesitate with the root pruners, though I had been contemplating moving the plant and thought a few cuts now and a few later might make it the move less traumatic down the road. My native plant plot is in a community garden, and I don't think my neighbours would appreciate losing any of their growing space to tree encroachment. Still, I probably have a few years to plot my next move.

Like you, I like the look of the mountain hemlock as it grows naturally, so I don't think I could shear it - maybe I'll have to donate it to you in a few years.

Thanks for the advice,
    Tom