Asian Pears (?) in Vancouver, FYI

Discussion in 'Fruit and Nut Trees' started by KarinL, Oct 13, 2007.

1. KarinL

KarinL Well-Known Member 10 Years

I know these fruits as Chinese Apple Pears, but believe that's the same fruit referred to in other threads here as Asian Pear. My neighbour here in Vancouver has a good-sized tree that bears profusely, and gives me a few fruits every year (I lend him my picker :-)). I thought I would post a brief report about the tree and its fruit for the interest of anyone wanting to grow them. The tree is tall and quite narrow, and although I have a nasty scabby apple tree in my yard, the Asian Pear tree appears totally disease-free. The fruits were just harvested last week, and seem different to me than the ones I've had from stores. The tree-ripened ones have a more golden skin and a much richer taste. Harvesting is always a bit of an adventure due to the tree's height, which is approaching twenty feet after about 8 years.

Attached Files:

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

>The fruits were just harvested last week, and seem different to me than the ones I've had from stores<

Asian pears (Pyrus pyrifolia) are indigenous to China, where they have been cultivated for 4,000 years, and there are nearly 3,000 known varieties.

http://mountvernon.wsu.edu/FruitHorticulture/Pears.html

3. globalist1789

globalist1789 Active Member

The only "Asian Pear" I've seen here is a variety called "20th century pear". I hear from people who grow it that is does very well and that the is not prone to spots or scabs. Well worth growing from what I hear.

4. Liz

Liz Well-Known Member 10 Years