What ever kind of tree this is, it's dying!

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by maliagalia, Jul 22, 2007.

1. maliagalia

maliagalia Member

I have a tree in my front yard that is dying. I'm not sure how to remedy it as I can't identify it!! None of my neighbors have this tree and despite my best "google search" efforts, I've given up. I'm sorry I can't provide a pic as my camera is not working at the moment. I will describe it the best I can:

It is as tall as my one story house. It has a twisted trunk with scaling bark. It's trunk seems to be seperated into two trees which wind up to twisted branches as well. (gnarled and twisted, it's pretty neat) The leaves grow and hang in clusters and are in the size and shape of almonds. During spring and end of winter they grow small red berries. It also very quickly grows smaller versions of itself up the botton of its trunk and from the roots that have spread that we have to cut all the time.

It is dying from the top out. I live in Arizona and have had this tree (came with the house) for 2 years with little growth but hadn't really had so many branches die as recently. I'm not sure if I'm watering it too much, or not enough. Since our monsoons it has further confused me by perking up where it is healthy but again, at the top I see more brown leaves and dying branches. Any help is much appreciated! It must be one of a kind.

2. saltcedar

saltcedar Rising Contributor 10 Years

Strawberry Tree, Arbutus unedo perhaps?

HTH
    Chris

3. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Take samples to trusted independent garden center or Arizona Cooperative Extension office for feedback.

4. maliagalia

maliagalia Member

Thanks guys. A tree expert said its dying off from the winter frost. It's a mesquite.