Identification: Prayer plant

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by mikkinak, May 24, 2006.

1. mikkinak

mikkinak Member

See photo. I find different botanical names for this plant, depending on the particular website I check. It has been identified as Marantaceae, Maranta leuconeur on some sites, as Calathea 'Burle Marx' on others... and from what I can gather, none of these are correct. But photos of these even contradict each other from site to site. This plant, when in bloom has insignificant little white flowers. What exactly is it?

Attached Files:

2. Rima

Rima Active Member

It is a maranta, not a calathea, but it may be a Maranta...something (name of specific variety or cultivar), but care will be similar to other Marantas which can have red stripes, or different patterns of green, etc. They don't like a lot of light, and do water well when they start to get dry.

3. L.plant

L.plant Active Member

4. mikkinak

mikkinak Member

There seems to be a great deal of confusion among professionals regarding this plant. If you perform a web search for "Calathea Makoyana" (peacock plant) various websites will show you photos of very dissimilar plants claiming to be this plant. I have similar results when searching for "Maranta Burle Marxii" ... some photos have a photo very similar to my submission and many are totally different. What is one to believe?

5. mikkinak

mikkinak Member

6. Marn

Marn Active Member 10 Years