Phalaenopsis Leaves

Discussion in 'Orchidaceae (orchids)' started by Orquidea, May 10, 2007.

1. Orquidea

Orquidea Member

I have had two phalaenopsis for four years now, and one of them has bloomed twice and the other hasn't. Further, the leaves on both plants are long (15 inches) and narrow (2 inches) and cascade over the side of the pot. The leaves are not short and stubby as they appear when originally purchased. What am I doing wrong? Too much light/fertilizer/water? Any possible ideas would be greatly appreciated.

2. jumbojimmy

jumbojimmy Active Member

I think there are different types and sizes of phalaenopsis...perhaps you bought a large variety.

I remember going into a nursery, and saw this phalaenopsis with bigger leaves that cascade out of the pot like the one u described, and the flowering spike is much longer and rougher looking than the one I had at home.

Nothing's wrong with the plant..it takes time for the orchid to flower. I bought my phal that was flowering until October last year...it rested awhile, and now, it's May (autumn - temperature drop) and I can see a flowering spike shooting out. The temperature here is important - I heard that if the temperature is too hot, the flowering spike will turn into a keika (spelling?) - a baby orchid that is attached to the parent plant instead of turning into flowers.

I don't exactly understand how the temperature works... but u need a temp drop for the orchid to flower. In my case, Autumn - where the night temp falls into a certain degree...make sure u don't have a heater on at night.

3. Orquidea

Orquidea Member

Thx. jumbojimmy for your reply. Can't say that I have noticed any of the "man eating" phals around here, but then again, Canada isn't OZ! Will keep my eyes open though. Am aware of the need of the temperature difference and during our winter my phals get a 6C temp. difference during the night. In the meantime I have re-potted both of the plants and keeping my fingers crossed that flowers may eventuate sooner or later.