phalaenopsis

Discussion in 'Orchidaceae (orchids)' started by shermanso, Jul 22, 2006.

1. shermanso

shermanso Member

Few of my phalaenopsis are losing their leaves. ( 2 or 3 leaves just turned yellow and wilt) The leave looks dry. Could any one help?

2. Chester

Chester Active Member 10 Years

Could be a root rot problem. Then the plant would not have root system to take up water, hence the shrivelled leaves. Check the potting medium to see if it has degraded and has become like 'soil'. If it has, and there are rotten roots, cut these off, and repot into fresh phal mix. Try to increase the humidity until new roots form. Pebble tray, misting, making a mini-greenhouse etc. Hope this helps...

3. shermanso

shermanso Member

Root system is o.k. The potting medium was changed in the spring. I suspect something else.

4. Chester

You must mean the healthy leaves look dry? If they look dry, then there could be some kind of water uptake problem, which may indicate a problem with the roots. Or, possibly, are you watering enough in the warmer weather? My phals are outside in the shade, and I am watering every 2nd day (after sticking my finger halfway down the pot to make sure it's drying deeper down). Phals don't want to get bone dry before watering. Also, as they are actively growing, they are going to lose a few leaves. If any of these are not the issue, you might try knocking it out of the pot to take a really good look at the whole plant...

5. shermanso

shermanso Member

Thanks you Chester for the advice.Sound like I don't water more freuent in the hot weather.

6. Chester

Great. I hope that clears up the mystery.