Plant seed Identification BC

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by northernbc, Jul 3, 2005.

1. northernbc

northernbc Member

Hello there I just joined. The seed was stuck in my dogs fur, it is quite a seed.
    It was under tension, and was hurled into the dog like a projectile.

Looks like when it dries, it is twisted to produce the tension that it needs to throw itself.

I am at a loss at what kind of Seed it is. We searched the internet for some kind of plant identification but was unsuccessful. Anyone else know what it is ?

Attached Files:

2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Hi,

This is the seed from a species of "Stipa", or porcupinegrasses.

It's hard to tell based off of the seed, but I'd bet that it is short-awned porcupinegrass. Most books will give the scientific name as Stipa curtiseta or Stipa spartea var. curtiseta, though some modern grass taxonomy suggests it should be Hesperostipa curtiseta.

My brother used to throw the seeds of a related species at me when I was growing up in Manitoba.

3. jimmyq

jimmyq Well-Known Member 10 Years

go Daniel!

4. Thank you! We put it in water and it unravelled just like I used to observe wild oats to plant itself in the ground. Its seems to be a simular type seed.

Do you know of the mechanism of deployment out of the stock? It has one way barbs on it, but it was almost like it was projected, into the fur. Is it undertension when the dog ran into it?

It was all over the dog and was razor point sharp, very interesting strategy for a seed. Facsinating plant speciest, ...
    Thanks again, this site is very helpful will be very useful in our plant indentification in the future.

5. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Well, from my experience, the ripe seeds are loosely held. If an animal brushes against the infructescence (the part of the plant carrying the fruit or seeds), the seeds will lodge in fur and be carried a short(?) distance. The seeds aren't launched, but one-way barbs will help a seed such as this burrow further into fur (or socks) through physical movement on the animal's part.