Fig Trees

Discussion in 'Fruit and Nut Trees' started by morris, Mar 21, 2007.

1. morris

morris Member

My wife and I want to plant a fig tree in our back yard. We live in the Comox Valley and have a very sunny back yard area. (When it's not raining !!) First question would be, what varity should we buy and how long does it take for the tree to fruit. Secondly, should it be planted in an open sunny area and do they require watering ??
    Thirdly, we have been traveling in Greece and Turkey and really enjoy both the fresh and the dryed figs. And will want to now how many crops a year we can expect and how to dry them ? Your help and advice will be apperiated !!
    Morris and Maggie Thompson

2. LPN

LPN Well-Known Member 10 Years

Without question, plant variety 'Desert King'. As much sun you can give it and regular watering to establish or in dry hot periods. Most are cutting grown and will set fruit in the first if not second season.
    I can't help you on the drying process, but an internet (Google search) will likely produce some results.
    If you can't find a 'Desert King' in the Comox Valley, PM me here as I'm just down Island from you near Nanaimo.

Cheers, LPN.

3. morris

morris Member

I have now planted a "Desert King" next to a south south west wall and want to thank you for your information. It seems to be taking as the two small groups of leaves are getting bigger in spite of our cold spring.
    Morris