Saving an old cherry tree

Discussion in 'Fruit and Nut Trees' started by cherryfarmer, Apr 12, 2007.

1. cherryfarmer

cherryfarmer Member

Hi, I am new to this site and am looking for some advice on saving an old cherry tree. I live in Vancouver and moved into a house with an old fruit bearing cherry tree in the back yard. The first year we were in the house the tree had beautiful blossoms, but now only one of the 6 large branches has blossoms. Two things happened, one is that I removed a bunch of Ivy that was growing all over the trunk, and teh second was that I hired some pruners which I think may have been of suspect quality. After the pruning, the branches oozed sap. Last summer there were also a lot of bugs and ants crawling on the tree and in the leaves. The tree is about 2 1/2 stories tall, and I would really like to nurture it back to its former glory, but am clueless as to how to go about it. Should I trim the remaining branches which are not showing new life this year, and allow the one branch to have more of the energy? My concern is that the tree is in steady irreversable decline. Any help on this matter would be very much appreciated. Thank you, Grant

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Sounds like it's nearly dead.

3. conifers

conifers Active Member

It's lost the battle. I agree with Ron.

Dax