tranplanting cherry tree

Discussion in 'Fruit and Nut Trees' started by sakuragirl, Apr 11, 2007.

1. sakuragirl

sakuragirl Member

Hello:
    I really like my neighbour's cherry tree. She said I can do some clipping and transplant myself if I like. THe problm is...I never transplanted trees..so....I would need help. I'm planning to plant a forest of cherry trees in a buddhist garden place...anybody out there who are experts? can give suggestion of what type of cherrytrees is the best to plant etc..etc and how to do transplant...and if possible can help our community out here by teaching all of us step by step how to plant it...we will welcome you to our place...it is a whole acre of land...so we can plant a lot of trees there.

2. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Cherries don't grow easily from cuttings, you need to graft them, not something that's at all easy for a beginner.

Your best option would be to find out which cultivar ('variety') your neighbour's tree is, and then buy one of them at a nursery. If your neighbour doesn't know, then post a photo here, and someone will probably recognise it.

Personally though, I'd suggest planting orchard cherries, not flowering cherries - they look very nearly as good in flower, and you get the bonus of delicious cherries to eat in July ;-)

3. M. D. Vaden

M. D. Vaden Active Member 10 Years

What is the diameter of the trunk?

Height of tree?

Width of canopy?