Spring 2015 photos

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Schattenfreude, Mar 20, 2015.

1. ROEBUK

ROEBUK Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Houzi..

Pics of the young grafts from the girls at Hippo.Must admit i do like the Amber ghost very pretty,but lots of years work now involved to keep them going and to develop on.

Will see if i can find the name of the metal frames for you,bought them many years ago when i had peony plants, all gone now got fed up of them always falling down despite my many attempts to keep them upright.

Attached Files:

2. ROEBUK

Hippo is very good, I wonder if Dick van der Maat is still providing scions and doing grafting for them as he was a couple of year ago, if so very clean plants. I've dealt with Karan Junker and it has been a little mixed, but she does deservedly have a good reputation. I know she moved a couple of years ago so there may now be better availability of some stuff...[/QUOTE]

Emery..Dick van der Matt is still doing quite alot of the grafting for them,was actually speaking to a chap at the open day who had recently attended one of his grafting courses,sounded very interesting, one day might just have a dabble.

3. Jaybee63

Jaybee63 Rising Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Roebuk, they are real beauties, I always have plenty of young grafts around that I grow on until big enough to make an impact. Amber ghost looks like one to add to the collection.

John

4. Houzi

Houzi Active Member 10 Years

Some new babies(also from Hippo)
    Left-Right
    1&2 Hana Matoi,some have suspected a different green form is sold in Europe but as can be seen from the new graft taken from the same plant alongside this may just be environmental(less light)at the moment I actually prefer the green.
    3 Rainbow
    4 Amber Ghost,bought this purely because of Charlie's recommendations.
    5 Patricia,the one I'm most excited about.Pat claims it should turn orange in summer,I really hope so :)
    Roebuk,cheers for that,I've still got my peonies but know what you mean.Spectacular flowers but short lived.Yes that first bright red emergence on Amber Ghost took me by surprise,turning amber now,something that I find Ariadne is capable of too.

Attached Files:

5. Houzi

Sango Kaku
    Koto no ito vs Kinshi
    Bi Hou

Attached Files:

6. Houzi

A Cmp.Pulverulentum
    Seiun Kaku,really liking this one(if it is)still waiting for the person on here who mentioned the cultivar with the fused stems(almost figure of eight in cross section)to confirm it's this one :)

Attached Files:

7. ROEBUK

Houzi ..Nice selection can't believe how far behind i am this year compared to you guys down south, must admit it's been a lovely day today but need more like it, i think it will be the end of the month before i have anything near what you guys are showing:(

8. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

It's definitely the best time of the year for colours.

The names of the trees or cutlivars are in the titles of the photos, except for the first one, but you will recognize Acer p. 'Momoiro Koya-San' in the foreground of the first picture.

Plenty of flowers too on some of them.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 20, 2015
  9. Houzi

It certainly is Alain..super pics :)
    Well Roebuk,you still have it all to look forward to,as I said I'd rather it was later.Obviously it's nice to have sunny weather,quite rare this time of year.However I've noticed when we get a lot of sun at leaf out,all the 'Corallinum'group maples lose their intense red very quickly which is a shame.Sometimes though it's rewarded with a lovely creamy pink colour,hopefully that'll happen this year to make up for it.Also all my pink or pink variegated cultivars look washed out already,almost white.I think only my Beni Shichihenge can hold it this weather.

10. maf

maf Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

I am somewhere inbetween the "guys down south" and Roebuck. This one taken today in the late afternoon sun:

spring6.jpe

11. ROEBUK

maf..Sometimes you really don't need to see the entire tree to appreciate the beauty of the JM, just a small picture of a well lit group of leaves just emerging from winter.

I think this is one of the best pictures iv'e seen so far this year!!! Wonderful.

Day two of sunshine :) :)

12. Houzi

Just thought I'd confirm.....peroxide doesn't kill blackfly,was worth a try though :)

13. Christophe

Christophe Active Member

Emery,

This year I ve been aviced the Fertiligen product "Naturen, Insecticide Biologique et végetal : bactospéine jardin liquide Sovilo". Very expensive but very efficient ! Last year, I used a bayer product and burnt all my new groth.

14. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Thanks Christophe, I've just started using that. Pyrethrins which I believe are safe for bees, and a soap. It goes on very lightly and so far no problems! A huge year for aphids though, and the "chenilles vertes" (green caterpillars) are already quite active.

15. Christophe

Christophe Active Member

Yes green caterpillars are the worst. I've always a lot every year.

16. Houzi

A couple more

Attached Files:

17. ROEBUK

Houzi.. Always wanted to have a Tsuma Gaki but never seem to get round to finding one, think i will try a bit harder for next year very pretty, picture 2 is lovely.

Shishigashira starting to move along now,need another 7/10 days yet for every one else

Happy St George's day to all !!!!!

Attached Files:

18. Houzi

Oh,happy St.G's day to you too,didn't realise.Only picked up Tsuma Gaki last year,was last day of a garden show so got it with Shojo Nomura and Koto no ito for £10 each :) Waiting for Satsuki Beni to leaf out and compare.
    Impressive Shishigashira Roebuk,I'm still fighting the infection on mine,I really don't wanna lose it.Sounds like the rain's coming soon...that'll mean all the weeds will suddenly appear BOO!

19. ROEBUK

Houzi..Rain? just watched our local tv weather forecast, fine until Sunday then wintery weather coming down from the Artic possible snow and sleet showers with temps going down to -5c WHAT!!! Please give me a break.

Just when you thought it was safe to go back in the water!!!!!!

Anyway a full day in the front garden tomorrow, weeding etc two x 240ltr garden waste bins to fill for Tuesday's garden refuse collection day.

Just thought i would post these pics, they might not survive next week eh ho!!

1.Higasa yama just unfurling
    2,3, Amagi Shigure's
    4.Amber ghost (changed so much in 5 days)
    5.Purple ghost
    6.Ariadne

Attached Files:

20. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

Very nice pics, thanks.

'Ariadne" seems particularly beautiful.

21. emery

Freezing weather would be pretty bad now... rain we can really use though!

So although we're behind both Alain in the south and Houzi to the north, things are really starting to race along here. Chestnuts starting to blossom, and wisteria. Still a few maples not showing any real signs yet, some of the hyrcanums, pentaphyllums, tenellum, maximowiczianum and henryii. And some palmatum seedlings!

Here are 3 'Ariadne', amplum 'Gold Coin', 'Fior d'Arancio', 'Asahi zuru', cordatum, 'Koto no ito', 'Villa Taranto', 'Orange Dream', platanoides 'Prigo', sinopurpurescens flowers.

Attached Files:

22. Houzi

Like the Gold coin Emery and didn't realise Fio d'Arancio had that nice spring colour.Yes we're supposed to get a bit of rain over the next 3days but -5degrees...I haven't seen that all winter for a couple of years now.
    Was at a garden centre today who sell quite a lot of large maples but have increased their prices well beyond my pocket.Must have walked past this large 'Butterfly' outside many times without realising what it was,just not very eye catching when it gets to this size.
    For sale was this clutch of 5ft 'Orange Dreams'(also had Katsuras),refreshingly all on their own roots.I like to see this but at £189..hmm.
    Have admired this 'Inaba Shidare' for a while now.If planted in ground and left to do it's own thing I'm sure it would be huge by now.Still it's been kept relatively compact but with a 6" girth must have some age....anyway the price tag?....a cool £7999......ok I'll have two please :)
    Finally my Beni Shichihenge at the pinkest stage before the leaves develop fully.

Attached Files:

23. opusoculi

opusoculi Rising Contributor 10 Years

_ If you use a sprayer and burnt your new groth, it was probably due to nearness ;
    propulsive gaz burn.
    _ bactospeine is not used for Plant-louse Aphides but apropriate for Caterpillars.
    _There is a new génération of products insecticid completly bio without truble for humans.
    Aleurodes CP jardin is an organic acid insecticide , made with potassium salt of fat acid,
    (roots made some and it is à copy).
    Autorised name in Europe is PUCERONS CP. It destroy eggs of Aphides and Aleurods too.

24. ROEBUK

Pic 1,2 Orange dream,lifted last summer from full sun into three quarter shade, plus it had major surgery on two large sticking out branches.
    Best colours both last fall and this spring iv'e seen on this tree since moving delightful.

Pic 3, S/A both of my larger ones are still only just at the bursting stage

Pic 4,5 Dissectum 'Felice' Pic 6,7 Dissectum 'Spring delight' both similar in new spring growth, but then both will change dramatically from each other over the next few months.

Attached Files:

25. emery

'Spring Delight' is very pretty, I haven't seen that cultivar before. Thanks!

@opusoculi, the product is very good against aphids, which is I think the pyrethrin content. As for other problems coming from gas burn, I don't think so, as I only ever apply small amounts of insecticide on specific areas with a squeeze bottle sprayer.

Here are a few of seedlings I took yesterday: the first has curled leaves which start dark but turn very yellow in summer; the second is a typical seedling from 'Villa Taranto', which very reliably produces red/orange strap-leaved seedlings; last is a seedling of 'Heiwa' with elegant, emerald green leaves, in it's second year.

Attached Files: