Upcoming protection for Filigree Green Lace

Discussion in 'Maples' started by copperbeech, Sep 23, 2014.

1. copperbeech

copperbeech Active Member 10 Years

I planted a 5 foot one early spring 2013. With this past epic winter the top two thirds did not leaf out; with the bottom just fine, most likely due to insulating snow cover (no protection otherwise). I replaced it in June with a similar sized "Filigree" and I want to do what I can to best ensure it makes it, all in tact through the upcoming winter.

This past weekend I pounded in 4 stakes with the plan later this Fall to surround this tree (and a hard to see very small "Olsens Frosted Strawberry"...just to the right of the left most stake) with the bottom two feet being chicken wire (marauding rabbits are a real issue in my neighborhood) and 6 feet of burlap.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 23, 2014
  2. maplesandpaws

maplesandpaws Active Member

Looks good! I'm going to have to do something similar in the front of our house around my Green Cascade (just moved it there this summer). It's a WNW exposure, so the winds blow through quite freely, unfortunately, but I'm hopeful that with the extra heat coming off the house, and the burlap as a windbreak, it will come out unscathed. My bane is squirrels and rabbits, anyone for some stew? lol

3. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Hi,

Wanted to mention that in my experience with rabbits they're fond of digging under fences. To be effective against them a fence should be buried 4 inches.

4. copperbeech

That does seem likely but that isnt what happened last epic winter. Our trees were fine at the bottom as there was exceptional snow cover. But above the snow, showing the exposed tree, rabbits ate away at the branches and the cold wind did its thing.

5. copperbeech

Here it is. Looks like $r**p. I probably won't do it next Fall.

Attached Files:

6. copperbeech

UPDATE:

Both the "Olsen Frosted Strawberry" and the "Filigree Green Lace" benefitted from the above shown burlap protection as both have leafed very well this spring after very difficult winter months in 2015.

Here they are today:

Attached Files:

7. copperbeech

UPDATE:

Did it using 3 sides this time.

IMG_20151128_102914_zpsgovyrjyg.jpg