Questioner for a Lichen Identification tool

Discussion in 'Fungi, Lichens and Slime Molds' started by podiman, Dec 8, 2009.

1. podiman

podiman Member

Hi,

I have found out that people using this forums have posts some images of lichens asking for expert help in identifying them. As a software engineering student in Sri Lanka doing the final year of the Software Engineering degree @ IIT(Sri Lanka) affiliated with the university of Westminster i thought of building a tool to identify lichens using a image.

I'd like to ask you to help me in finding some requirements for this project by filling this questioner out and giving your feedback on the proposed system.

Please be kind enough to take some time to fill this questioner and also I'd appreciate if you could forward this link to any lichenologists or people who know about lichens in your country.

Thank you very much.

Link : http://ecustomersurvey.com/dsm/ViewSurvey.do?id=7a5bbbdb-bacf-4823-b58a-fc29548b3abe

2. podiman

podiman Member

Please take 2 mins and fill this questioner, I need it for the success of my project.. Only one person has taken the time to fill in the answers and I thank him/her for that..

3. podiman

podiman Member

this is in reply for a person who filled the questioner. First I'd like to thank you for your generous feedback.. I'm still doing my B.Sc degree and my project can't have a very huge scope... When it comes to lichens there are many species of lichens and creating a tool to identify each and every lichen will be a huge project that could take years... What I'm trying to do here is that try to use a different kind of method in identifying lichens and see how far that I can go in identifying the lichen. I already know that to identify some species of lichen one must do some chemical tests too.. but in general to identify the genus of a lichen you don't need those extra tests (AFAIK) so basically what i'm going to do is to get a family of lichens and see if I can get the tool to identify the lichen from morphological differences. This might be up to the species level or the genus level... but I will have to do the research and see.

And also... I'm not working for any company or as such and the key findings i make will be posted here... I'm thinking of posting the tool here for evaluation purposes but that will be decided if I get enough feedback on this questioner.

Please take 2mins and answer the questioner. Then you might be able to test my tool when I come to the evaluation stage.

Have a nice day.

EDIT: Thanking again for all the people who took time off their busy schedule to fill in this questioner... Thank you very much.. Now i'm writing my system requirement specification, once I'm done with the development you may be able to download the software and give try it out.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2009