Please identify this pussy willow

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by dsr, May 12, 2011.

1. dsr

dsr Member

Also, is the live tree available to purchase in Lower Mainland? Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Floral arrangement? Native species? From a park? A street tree?

And, to give you an idea of the difficulty in identifying a willow, see the first quoted paragraph on this page.

Last edited: May 12, 2011
  3. dsr

dsr Member

Wow, I had no idea Willow was so difficult to identify. These particular branches are from a floral arrangement. I would like to grow a tree that produces something at least similar, if such a thing is possible in these region. Looks like Salix scouleriana is common to North America, but from the pictures I found it doesn't look similar.

4. dsr

dsr Member

The closest match I can find is Salix discolor. Any idea where I can purchase a live tree / shrub ?

5. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Since this is from a floral arrangement, that might make things a bit easier.

A search for "salix" "floral arrangement" suggests a few commonly-used cultivars for floral arrangements -- seems like Salix caprea and its cultivars are used for this purpose in the trade.

Here are a couple places that sell these in BC (this isn't an endorsement, and you'd be wise to continue searching for whatever combination of service/price/convenience/selection you prefer):

Bluestem Nurseries

Art Knapp Surrey