New to grape vines

Discussion in 'Grapes and Grape Vines' started by scottk, May 22, 2006.

1. scottk

scottk Member

I bought a house a few months ago that has some type of grape vine in the backyard.

I know nothing about grapes/grape vines, and I was wondering if someone could tell me what these are? I'm assuming they are buds of flowers that will grow?

Also, the picture may be too zoomed in, but can you tell me what type of grape vine this is? Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. Ralph Walton

Ralph Walton Active Member 10 Years

These are indeed your future flowers and grapes. Watch them carefully and you'll notice they open "backwards" to what you would expect: instead of separating at the distal end (the tip) and opening into a typical flower like say an apple blossom, the petals will open at the base and form a "cap". The cap soon falls off, as do the apple blossom petals, leaving the rest of the flower parts including the ovary which becomes your grape. Have a magnifying glass handy!
    The picture is fine, but IDing is best done on site or at least "in hand". Phone around your area and find a receptive and experienced grower and take a sample of a growing tip, a mature (full sized) leaf, a ripe bunch and some pics of the whole plant.

Ralph