Fruit Identification

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by aj19, May 9, 2011.

1. aj19

aj19 Member

Hi,

I have two fruit trees in my new yard that I cannot identify and was hoping someone here could help. These two trees are located in Berkeley California, and are currently producing these young fruits.

Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. danc

danc Active Member 10 Years

Hi, it seems the first one is a pear tree and the second a plum tree.

3. aj19

aj19 Member

Thank you very much! The pear is a wonderful surprise! I thought the second photo might be a plum or an apricot tree!

4. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

I was thinking an apple or a medlar for the first one. The remnants of the flower are very pronounced.

5. danc

danc Active Member 10 Years

I thought the same, but then I took a better look at the leaves which seem to resemble more the pear tree's leaves.

6. aj19

aj19 Member

Thank you Danc and Eric - I appreciate your input. I search for a few images of pear trees and the first image does resemble the pear tree images! We shall see what they turn out to be in a few months :)

Thanks again!

7. SusanDunlap

SusanDunlap Active Member

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...ndsp=30&ved=1t:429,r:13,s:52&biw=1218&bih=710

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...&ndsp=25&ved=1t:429,r:4,s:24&biw=1218&bih=710

I know, this is sorta unfair, BUT, it looks from my scientific study of two photographs found in a Google search, that the apple fruit forms a depression on the bottom as the flower transforms into fruit. Whereas the pear fruit does not form this depression as the fruit matures. This suggests that it might be a pear.

Please do let us know what you are eating later in the season.

8. aj19

aj19 Member

Thanks Susan - I believe it is a pear tree, the fruit seems to be a closer match to the unripe pears than the unripe apple images I've found. I will definitely let you all know what fruit it turns out to be :)

Thanks!