British Columbia: Focal Point for Front Yard Ideas

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by Cpdickson, Feb 24, 2011.

1. Cpdickson

Cpdickson Member

Hello!
    We recently purchased a house with a somewhat neglected garden. There is a bed at the front of the house against the chimney stack. Currently there is a large unattractive round cedar in front of the chimney which is the focal point of the yard. Attached is a photo. I am going to pull this tree out soon as I don't think it does anything for the look of the yard. If I do pull it out, the space will be quite bare without a new plant in its place and thus I am looking for ideas. Ideally, I would like something that has some height (4+ feet), flowers and is evergreen. I have also considered one or two well manicured trees in its place. Or something climbing up a lattice? Any thoughts?

Attached Files:

2. togata57

togata57 Generous Contributor 10 Years

Rhododendron; mountain laurel (Kalmia latifolia).
    Clematis?

If you plant close to the house, avoid anything with vigorous roots!
    Suggest that you determine what kind of soil you have---acidic, clay-ey, etc.---before you plant. Drainage, moisture, sunlight too. The more you know about your growing conditions, the greater the probability of success.

Nice house!

3. mort

mort Active Member

Hi
    I can see why you might want to do something different with the chimney area, but I would suggest leaving the other side of the yard as it is. You have some lovely mature shrubs there that have been growing for quite a while and well worth maintaining.

You might want to consider planting a tree further from the house on the left (as I face the picture) and closer to the street to break up the lawn space. A deciduous tree with a nice winter bark and/or shape, would let in the light during the winter and provide you with a nice focal point and more privacy for the window by the fireplace. You could then take over the entire area bounded by the walk and plant a variety of perrenials, groundcovers and low shrubs. It is hard to judge the direction of sun from the photo, but I would suggest planting things that do well in the shade up near the house such as hydrangea, azalea, hellebores, and fuschias. As you move further to the street, plants such as grasses, sedums, senicia, heathers, and other sun tolerant plants might work. Gravel over landscape cloth is a good way to mulch between plants while they are young especially in the hotter areas.

Have fun!