Help choosing a tree

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by rndavis22, Feb 6, 2011.

1. rndavis22

rndavis22 Member

LARGE new house in process of construction on lot behind ours. Need tree to re-instate some privacy for my back yard and deck. Thinking of deciduous, likely round globe, want to buy semi mature to invoke privacy immediately.
    Soil is heavy clay about 1 foot down. Southern exposure.
    I would love to hear some recommendations.
    Thanks a bunch.
    Rob

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Carpinus betulus 'Globosa'.

3. rndavis22

rndavis22 Member

Ron
    Thx for the recommendation. I took a look at some online photos of the tree. I think I need something with the globe a bit higher, as I have emerald cedars planted on my property line (which is about 6 ' higher than most of the yard.) (see attached photo)
    Any more suggestions?

Thx again.
    Rob

1 - after.jpg

4. roneill

roneill Active Member 10 Years

Cornus kousa has a lovely form and so does Davidia involucrata but that would most likely be too large for the space. Where are you planning to plant the tree?

5. rndavis22

rndavis22 Member

Thx

If you can get a decent view of the photo attached to the thread, the planting will most likely be to the right of the Nishiki tree and that probably means the small maple will have to be relocated.

Thx agn.
    Rob

6. ryansenechal

ryansenechal Active Member

Acer ginnala, Styrax japonica, Chionanthus virginicus, Malus fusca, Magnolia kobus.

Plenty of possibilities -- more criteria in your search will help with the options.
    Fall colour, fruit, flower, structural interest, bark interest, wildlife interest, maintenance needs, etc.

7. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years