British Columbia: Sourcing slug barriers in Vanc

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by fern2, Feb 9, 2011.

1. fern2

fern2 Active Member

I want to protect my tender crocuses from slugs & snails and just learned that my 1st choice d(iatomaceous earth) doesn't repel so much as dry them out & kill them, along with ants & lots of other non-pest species. It's also fairly useless when wet (ie here!).

Apparently ground oyster shells, copper silicate, & copper sulfate are better choices in that they repel (not kill) and are effective even after it rains.
    Does anyone know of a local (inexpensive) source for any/all of those products? I live in Kits and, sadly, can't just nip over to David Hunter anymore :( so I need to find somewhere else to buy supplies.

Thx!!

2. Keke

Keke Active Member 10 Years

I get ground oyster shells at farm feed stores. Yes, I know those are thin on the ground in Kits! But a big bag goes for about $13 and they're used by chicken farmers as part of chicken feed to strengthen the eggshells.

See this link, but read the discussion too: http://www.chickensinvancouver.com/resources/chicken-feed-and-supply-stores/

I never thought of using them for slug control (I use copper sheeting my husband got me when he worked in a metal shop) but I've found them pretty good for discouraging buttercups in my lawn as they are good old calcium carbonate and sweeten the acidic soil that buttercups like.

Time to get a Zipcar or a friend with a vehicle and make a trek to the wilds of the Valley, I think!
    keke

3. jimmyq

jimmyq Well-Known Member 10 Years

There is 'slug tape' sold in most garden centers. Thin copper and on some brands, an adhesive backing.

4. GreenerThumb

GreenerThumb Member

Try Slug Shields. I used them last season and they worked well. 100% eco-friendly and they last all season. I got them online.

Good luck!

5. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

Grower Central carries copper sulphate. Don't know whether it's expensive or not though. They're a wholesale distributor but they sell some products to walk-ins. Call their Vancouver office for more information.