Poor lil dogwood

Discussion in 'Cornus (dogwoods)' started by Rita M, Nov 11, 2006.

1. Rita M

Rita M Member

I live in NE, and I actually have a beautiful pink dogwood that only blossoms on the right side. It get sun in the am on the right side and sun on the left side in the afternoon. This year it out did it self again on the right side. It now tilts to reach the morning sun. It has gone throught rough winters but always pops back in the late spring early summer. Should I anchor the tree so it won't fall over? What should I feed it? As I mentioned it is so beautiful on the right side. A large oak that stands about 4 feet behind it is coming down this coming spring because it's just to close to the house and if it came down, it would take some of the house and power lines. So the tree would have more sun but not so that it would burn it. I don't see any rot or bores. But I actually tell it how beautiful it is, and how proud I was of the blooms this year. Yes I even talk to Roses and Lilac's like horses I think they like kindness and praise. Thank You. Oh what time of year do you prune Lilacs? Rita M

2. HortLine

HortLine Active Member 10 Years

3. Dixie

Dixie Active Member

I always thought dogwoods and oaks were best friends. dogwoods are an understory tree, but they can also be grown in full sun. they grow natively here in Arkansas and are found throughout our Ozark forests in full bloom in early spring. just curious.