Strange Bract On Kousa

Discussion in 'Cornus (dogwoods)' started by Gordo, Jul 30, 2006.

1. Gordo

Gordo Active Member 10 Years

I love encountering unusual happenings in the garden. Today I noticed this late occuring bloom on Cornus kousa 'National'. I've heard of double forms of kousa - 'Doubloon' comes to mind - but on this normally 4 bracted variety I see 12 bracts at least partially formed. Triple? Weird!

C. kousa triple blossom.jpg

2. BlueShadow

BlueShadow Member

Have tried several of the so called double forms over the years with no luck, have never seen National do what you are showing. Would be interested in talking with you futher about trialing the plant along with some of our other new Cornus kousa selections. Please respond by E mail. Treeguru@verizon.net.

3. Gordo

Gordo Active Member 10 Years

The bract pictured was a single bloom which appeared after all the other normally formed bracts were finished. Perhaps a freak single occurrence. Time will tell.

4. BlueShadow

BlueShadow Member

Only way to know if to graft that branch and grow it out to see if it repeats.

5. Sundrop

Sundrop Well-Known Member

It looks to me like a rare occurrence of fasciation. Could be caused by hormonal imbalances, random genetic mutation or other factors Fasciation - Wikipedia