Which pest is eating leaves

Discussion in 'Garden Pest Management and Identification' started by MIS, Jun 13, 2005.

1. MIS

MIS Member

It appears some pests have invaded my plants. I see holes and eaten edges on the leaves. I don’t think they are slug/snail. Reason: The problem is not seen in the lower leaves (which I assume slugs would attack first before climbing to higher ones). Could it be some flying insect / ant / spider …. ???

Any one seen this and identified the culprit

Any recommended pest control

Attached Files:

2. WLee

WLee Member

Something is attacking my plants like this too. I see little beetle like bugs in the garden and I have been told at the local plant store that they are wood beetles (not the real name for them I am sure). I am told that you can surround your plants with crushed shell which will cut their bellies. I tried that last year with powered shell. It did seem to help but it made such an unattractive white gooey mess under the plants I quit using it. I think this year I will try shells that are in pieces, not powdered. If you find out any more about this problem, please let me know.

3. jimweed

jimweed Active Member 10 Years

I recognize these type of holes in almost every type of plant you can think of. Including large trees. My bet is you can hold that leaf with the holes in it up to the light and see where new holes are soon going to develop. Neither is it a blight or insect pest. I feel it is an abiotic factor due to the changing climate. After 21 years in the plant disease and pest business I have only notice these particular and distinctive holes commonly running along veins for the past 6 yrs. More and more frequent each year. Jim.