ID: Large sprawling shrub, tiny white flowers?

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by Ozplant, Oct 21, 2012.

1. Ozplant

Ozplant Member

Hi All,

From Australia here, looking to ID a large shrub in our garden. We have no idea what it is and no-one can ID it, including nurseries. It was in our garden when we moved and for 3 years it did nothing, but now (our Spring) it has started flowering.

I don't have scale pictures, but I can get some later today if necessary.

The leaves are large, 8 inches long, and waxy - similar texture to a camellia.

Flowers are clusters of tiny white flowers approx 1cm per flower. They appear in seed form first, and the flower shoots are red.

The shrub is approx 1.5m tall, and 3.5m wide and sprawling outwards rather than growing up. It isn't native to Australia, suspect it is some kind of exotic but not sure what. In really wet weather last year it wasn't healthy and we suspect the root system was drowning?

Any help greatly appreciated! Ideally I would like to plant something else on the site, but don't want to move this without knowing what it is :)

Cheers,
    Mel

Attached Files:

2. robyn

robyn Active Member 10 Years

Viburnum of some sort? - Viburnum nudum maybe.

What are the berries like?

3. Ozplant

Ozplant Member

Hi Robyn,

Thanks for your response. I've just had a look and don't think it is the viburnum nudum - the leaves in my plant have a different vein structure and are also much waxier / stiffer.

It isn't a hedging type shrub, it's really open and sprawling, and seems to bear no fruit - there's no berries on it, the flower buds just appear berrylike when unopened.

I took some more pictures this morning although it was in lowlight. Apologies for using the phone as a size comparison but it was all I had in my handbag. The phone measures 5 inches long by 2.6 wide. There's photos of the unopened flowers, the whole bush and also the newer growth at the top - which has a slightly pinkish tinge.

Cheers
    Mel

Attached Files:

4. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

More on the order of V. odoratissimum.

5. Ozplant

Ozplant Member

Thanks Ron! I did a bit of a hunt around, and the closest form that looks similar is the Japanese varieties.. Most likely the Awabuki Chindo seems to look the closest to what my plant is - the shiny leaves seem to point in the direction of the awabuki. I will wait until the berries appear - and this should hopefully give us a better indication.

The sprawling structure makes sense as it's not in full sun all the time, only afternoon sun.

Many thanks! :) Exciting. Now I have to figure out what to do with it.