Seed Identification

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by cmgfour, Oct 19, 2012.

1. cmgfour

cmgfour Active Member

I've collected a few seeds this fall and then lost my notes on what type of plants I picked them from. Can anyone help me identify these seeds. The first seed has a round seed pod with two/three dark seeds in it. The seed pod measures about 1/2" to 3/4" in diameter and there are 2-3 seeds in each pod. Seeds are odd shaped with a hard seed coat. The second seed pod is round 3/4" but when dried out popped hundred of seeds. The feathery brownish red pappus attached to their seeds similar to a dandelion. Any help in identifying these seeds would be appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. Andrey Zharkikh

Andrey Zharkikh Well-Known Member 10 Years

Not sure what the first plant is (could it be Camelia?).
    The second is not quite a seed pod, but rather a seed head, as the seeds (achenes) are not enveloped in a shell. This is definitely from the Aster family, like dandelion, but difficult to say what species or even what genus is this. The Aster family is the largest one and difficult for identification.
    The best way to know is to plant the seeds next spring and to see what comes from them.

3. cmgfour

cmgfour Active Member

Andrey, Thanks for the reply. I've soaked the Camellia seeds. All sank except for one. I planted them and stored in my greenhouse for the winter. I think they will germinate. Will check them periodically. I will plant the seeds from the Aster family in the spring and will post pictures of the plant on this site in hopes to further ID it. Thanks again.

4. Andrey Zharkikh

Andrey Zharkikh Well-Known Member 10 Years

5. abgardeneer

abgardeneer Active Member

If you give the composite seeds the same treatment as you describe for the camellia (minus the soaking, which can be detrimental - see Deno's publications), they will be "stratified".