Sorbus alnifolia? Simple leaves, fruits in loose corymbs

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by wcutler, Aug 9, 2009.

1. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

These are street trees catty-cornered from where I live in the West End in Vancouver. I got the idea they could be Sorbus from seeing the Sorbus yuana at UBCBG, so dug up Sorbus alnifolia as a possibility. It's supposed to be rare in Seattle and isn't mentioned at all by Straley in Trees of Vancouver, but I'm guessing it's not as rare as S. yuana and I found one S. alnifolia photo with a similar tree shape as these. Did I finally get one right?

Attached Files:

2. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Certainly looks good for Alder-leaved Whitebeam.

3. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Should become conspicuous later when fruits have colored up and leaves are being shed. Some on a street in Mt Vernon became misty red clouds during a recent autumn.

4. wcutler

I didn't mean to double post this photo, but I'd really like to have the autumn colour in this thread. These are the same trees. Now that I re-read the reply, I'll have to go check for fruits.

Attached Files:

5. wcutler

Only one of these has enough berries to notice them.

Attached Files:

6. wcutler

I found what I thought was a tree new to me, and then was abashed to discover that Sorbus alnifolia is supposed to be planted on the block (only one is listed in the city inventory, though, and there were about four of these across the street from the listed one and nothing at all listed on this even side of the street), but I still think that's what my new discovery is.

First, though, I see there are no flower photos posted of the trees that started this thread, so here's a tree and blossom photo from those trees today.
    20120514_PendrellBidwell_SorbusAlnifolia_Cutler_P1230738.jpg 20120514_PendrellBidwell_SorbusAlnifolia_Cutler_P1230741.jpg

Now here are photos from the new-to-me trees on Balsam at 7th. Once I went to photograph the original trees, I can see why I didn't recognize these new ones - everything is twice the size - the leaves, the individual flowers, and the inflorescences. Only the trees and the fruits are the same size.
    20120514_Balsam7th_SorbusAlnifolia_Cutler_P1230662.jpg 20120514_Balsam7th_SorbusAlnifolia_Cutler_P1230663.jpg
    20120514_Balsam7th_SorbusAlnifolia_Cutler_P1230669.jpg 20120514_Balsam7th_SorbusAlnifolia_Cutler_P1230670.jpg

I hope these two Balsam Street trees are the same, because I didn't keep track of which tree the leaf photos are from. The leaves didn't look or feel particularly hairy.
    20120514_Balsam7th_SorbusAlnifolia_Cutler_P1230671.jpg 20120514_Balsam7th_SorbusAlnifolia_Cutler_P1230672.jpg 20120514_Balsam7th_SorbusAlnifolia_Cutler_P1230677.jpg 20120514_Balsam7th_SorbusAlnifolia_Cutler_P1230678.jpg

7. wcutler

I'm still not sure what that tree is in posting #6, but here's a better fruits with autumn leaves photo for the trees on Pendrell St that started this thread.

Attached Files: