Need help with identification

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by maia1990, Oct 20, 2012.

1. maia1990

maia1990 Member

I'm not sure if this is a Sorbus or I might be wrong entirely. Can someone help me identify this plant?

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      152 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      101.6 KB
      Views:
  2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

The common one like this is Sorbus aucuparia. Actually a weed in this region.

3. maia1990

maia1990 Member

Thank you very much for your help and speedy reply.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2012
  4. Sundrop

Sundrop Well-Known Member

What do you mean by that?

5. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

He means that Rowan is a European species which is being invasive in Canada, with bird-sown seedlings appearing in places where they shouldn't be.

6. Ron B

Frequently planted and commonly naturalized on both sides of the Cascade Mountains, both in moist and dry climates. As with Acer platanoides, Hedera helix, Ilex aquifolium, Prunus laurocerasus etc. on down the list intentional planting should be discontinued.

7. Sundrop

Canada is a big place, so is BC. Couldn't find the info about Sorbus Aucuparia being invasive in the Okanagan. It would find it difficult to survive in the Okanagan hot and dry climate. Personally have never seen it there.

According to E-Flora BC "Sorbus aucuparia is considered an emerging invasive species in the Vancouver region by the Greater Vancouver Invasive Plant Council (2009). An emerging invasive is defined by them as: currently found in isolated, sparse populations but are rapidly expanding their range within the region. It is already well-established in the Fraser Delta."

If I am wrong re. the Okanagan, could you, please, direct me to the reliable source of information?

8. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Simple precautionary principle: if a species has shown itself to be invasive repeatedly in many areas with differing climates, it is likely to be so elsewhere too. You don't want to get left with the guilt of being the source of its new invasion.

9. Sundrop

So, if I understand well, the info supplied by Ron B.: "Actually a weed in this region" (Kelowna) is inaccurate? Or, may be by "this region" you meant the area you live in, Ron? Kind of confusing.

10. Ron B

Plenty of spontaneous seedlings competing with native trees and shrubs on undeveloped land in Leavenworth, WA. Planted examples in the interior often look more happy than those over here.