Ground stump chips of western cedar tree.

Discussion in 'Gymnosperms (incl. Conifers)' started by ginger, Jan 31, 2007.

1. ginger

ginger Member

I finally had my 85' cedar tree taken down late Nov '06. I'm now left with all the chips from grinding the stump. I understand the chips will zap all the nitrogen from the soil and surrounding lawn. I've started digging and raking the chips and putting them into my trailer, ready to go to the local composting place. The questions now comes to my mind.....can I infact use the chips. I don't want to make any path. If stored and dried in a corner somewhere would they eventually be good mulch for my evergreen garden or any garden?
    Ginger.

2. chimera

chimera Well-Known Member 10 Years

Had them under rhododendrons and the leaves turned yellow. Added some ammonium sulphate and they were fine the second year. Can't remember the proportions.

3. M. D. Vaden

M. D. Vaden Active Member 10 Years

I recall reading an article on a arborist website where CEUs are issued.

The article said that topdressing soil doesn't zap nitrogen as much as some people have claimed.

I'm not certain if that's the kind of chip that I'd like IN my soil, but I'd feel fine having it on top as a mulch.

4. chimera

chimera Well-Known Member 10 Years

The chips should break down better if they are moist. i had coarse sawdust used as a mulch, about 2" deep.