fish fertilizer for my raspberries?

Discussion in 'Fruit and Vegetable Gardening' started by barb s, May 4, 2007.

1. barb s

barb s Active Member

Can I treat my raspberrie vines with fish fertilizer ? Never had raspberries before, it came with my new property.

Thanks
    Barb S

Last edited: May 7, 2007
  2. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Better to use compost. Fish fertiliser is a very damaging product, lethal to fish.

3. growest

growest Active Member 10 Years

In the long run, Michael you may be right. Our oceans won't supply us with fish forever. I do think about these sustainability issues, and wonder how long the fish products will be available, or should be...

At the moment, here in the Vancouver area, we do have ample supplies of dogfish which are hydrolyzed by Bella Coola fisheries and sold by a number of distributors under various brand names. From the standpoint of the plants receiving the fertilizer, it is very good. This hydrolyzate promotes excellent fungal growth in the root zone, which benefits many perennial/shrub/tree type plants. Also most trace elements are supplied by this ocean product...I use it quite a bit.

There is another product line (Alaska Fish) that is quite different, an emulsion cooked up from fish plant refuse that produces a high N, bacteria promoting situation in the root zone. I don't like it myself, but it probably is a good use of this by-product of an existing industry...would need to be used where that bacterial/high nitrogen situation is desirable such as annual veggie crops.

So Barb...I would say that the raspberries would respond very well to the hydrolyzate type liquid fish...Pacific Natural is one brand name of this product.

4. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Not good . . . dogfish are slow-growing, long-lived species with a low rate of reproduction - precisely the sort of species which will suffer a catastrophic population collapse due to overfishing