Magnolia Stellata leafs die after repotting

Discussion in 'Magnoliaceae' started by simux, Apr 28, 2007.

1. simux

simux Member

Hi,

I've recently bought a magnolia stellata and repotted it into Ericaceous Compost. I've added some Ericaceous fertilizer. The plant started spreading the leafs and all of the sudden, three weeks after repotting all of them started vanishing and drying out. Am I watering it to often? Maybe it did not like the compost? Anyone familiar with similar symptoms?

Thanks in advance!
    Simon

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Deciduous magnolias are prone to pseudomonas and slugs. Early blooming kinds like star magnolia may sometimes also be zapped by late frosts.

3. Luke Harding

Luke Harding Active Member

Hi,
    As Ron has pointed out, Magnolia stellata can be caught by late frosts. We've had a very warm spring and there was a couple of pretty cold nights which could have caused the damage about three or four weeks back. My mum has one on the patio in a pot and although it didn't drop any leaves it did look a bit sorry for itself after the last frost.
    Strictly speaking a Magnolia stellata doesn't need ericaceous feed or compost. I live just along the M4 from you in a heavy clay area close to the cotswolds and there are quite a few planted locally. We aren't even remotely acidic here and there are some beauties.
    If it is only frost damage, new buds may still form as it is early in the season. If you gently scrape the bark on the main stem, it should be green just under the surface. If it is, it should recover. If not, it is probably a goner. Check lower down the plant too, including the root stock if it is grafted. It isn't unknown for the root stock to die during the winter months. Leaves may still flush due to the energy remaining in the tissue above the graft union but without up-take of water and nutrients through the roots, the foliage will wither and die.
    If no shoots reappear within a month I would take the plant back and try to get a replacement.