orchid from North Vancouver

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by Robert Flogaus-Faust, Oct 14, 2006.

1. Robert Flogaus-Faust

Robert Flogaus-Faust Active Member 10 Years

I found this orchid in the North Vancouver area on my way down from Lynn Headwaters Regional Park to the nearest bus stop at the roadside of Lynn Valley road on June 3, 2006. Most of these orchids were very tall (probably at least 1 m for the bigger ones) but I couldn't get a photograph of those big ones. Nevertheless even the smaller orchids had several stem leaves. The color of the flowers was light green but because I needed to use a flash and because I tried to compensate the resulting wrong colors of the images the flowers may look a bit to dark and with too much blue. Is this slender bog orchid (Platanthera stricta, which is probably the same species as Habenaria saccata in my old books from the 1970s and 1980s) or is there a suggestion different from this?

Attached Files:

2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

I don't have any suggestions that differ from Platanthera stricta. I think I can see where the uncertainty might arise - do you feel the leaf shape and arrangement on the stem matches?

3. Robert Flogaus-Faust

Robert Flogaus-Faust Active Member 10 Years

Unfortunately my image of the stem leaves has really bad quality. I am not entirely sure about this but the specimens I took the pictures of were not completely typical anyway as I already told you. Thank you very much for your opinion!